Saturday 26 December 2015

Our Christmas Day 2015

We had a lovely Christmas day yesterday.

We got up late, having stayed up the night before re-watching Buffy The Vampire Slayer and eating McDonalds. Rock and roll!

We exchanged presents over coffee. We (I) had initially decided we didn't need to exchange presents as we are very good to ourselves. That and the fact Sam is ridiculously difficult to buy for. He never knows what he wants and regardless of how many times I ask, or in how many different ways I frame the question, he never simply says, "Oh, this year I would love x, y and z..."

So, knowing he is a big kid at heart, I couldn't just get him zip. I likes his smelly stuff and I purchased Clinique's Chemistry as he does seem to enjoy this fragrance very much. It smells great on him too. Well, most fragrances do actually.

He bought me heaps of stuff. Aftershaves, a camera...a telescope. I was spoiled, again. My initial thought when I saw the telescope was that I would be able to spy on the neighbours. I'm not creepy, I promise, just nosy.

But apparently the telescope is a special astronomical tool that requires objects to be at least a couple of miles away to be able to focus on them. Neighbourhood surveillance is off the to do list for another year. *sad face.

We had Christmas lunch at Melbourne's Brighton Savoy Hotel. It's a 4 star hotel. A little bit posh.

It was great. We arrived and I was struck by the fact that staff were lining the street, directing their festively motivated patrons in the right direction to get parked. When we parked our car, there were more staff directing people to the elevators and stairs, then more staff lining the reception areas and corridors, all ensuring people were organised and at all times oriented to where they were and where they were going. It was all very well organised, and it made me feel very special.

We were shown into an area with tables indulgently draped with rich, white cloth. Our starters consisted of prawns, oysters, smoked salmon, prawn cocktail, pancake...I'm sure I'm forgetting something. There was so much on offer. The main was turkey, ham, vegetables, cranberry sauce...yum!! And then for dessert I had a Christmas plum pudding with berries and cream and Sam had a sundae. Like I said, we are very good to ourselves.

The staff waiting on us were friendly and accessible. One waiter was particularly fantastic as he kept my glass full with beer at all times. Those are the people who should be cherished. Thank you, young sir!

There was also a lady, peppy in spirit and festive in dress, singing live. She entertained the children and adults alike, mindful of the diversity of her audience.

And of course, no Christmas lunch would be complete without the special guest...Santa! He looked a bit skinny this year, maybe a 32 inch waist, so his diet is going well. However he was still full of Christmas cheer and was handing gifts to the kids, Ho-Ho-Ho - ing as he went.

The whole lunch was lovely!

The rest of the day we relaxed, dozed a little and spent some time with netflix.

It ain't a bad life, is it?

Merry Christmas everyone! Have a great 2016 when it comes!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails